21 October 2020

Who to tell you've moved home

Once you’ve reserved your space, it’ll be easy to get carried away with all the exciting stuff like choosing your furniture. However, with a change of address comes the task of telling people you’ve moved. Wondering who to tell? Keep reading to find out who should be on your ‘who to tell’ tick list!


You’ll need to inform your utility providers about your change of address.

Mail re-direct – You’ll need to inform the Royal Mail of your new address well in advance. You can apply to change your address up to 3 months before your moving day, so make sure to do it early so your post doesn’t go to your old address.
Water – Let your water provider know that you’re moving and won’t be using water beyond your moving date.

Gas – Let your gas provider know you’re moving. Make sure to take a reading of your gas on the day you leave, as they will request to see this post move. This will also be proof that you’ve moved and you won’t be charged for any gas you haven’t used.

You can also use your reading when looking for your next gas provider, and compare deals the different providers are offering.

Electricity – You’ll need to tell your electricity provider at least 48 hours before you move because it takes this long for them to update your information. Similar to gas, be sure to take your final reading on the day you move so you’re not charged for any electricity you haven’t used.

Local Authorities

Electoral roll – Change your address on the electoral roll so you’re able to vote in your new area. Updating this can also help to improve your credit score! 

Council tax – You can update your address with your local council by visiting the Government website.
If you receive child benefits or any other kind of benefit, be sure to tell them of your change in address.

Car checklist

If you own a car, there are multiple people you’ll need to make aware of your new address:

Driving licence - You can update your driving licence on the Government website or via post. It is completely free to do so, but if you don’t update your details you could be fined.

Car insurance - Making sure your car insurance company knows your new address is really important. The policy pricing is based on your location, so the price of your insurance could change when you move.
Car ownership certificate - To inform the DVLA that you’ve changed address, head to the Government website. It won’t cost you to change your details, but if you fail to do so, you could be fined up to £1000. So it’s best to update them a couple of weeks before you move, so they can update it on their records.

Breakdown cover – If you have car breakdown cover, it’s important to inform them of your new address. The rate you pay can depend on the area you live in, plus, if you do breakdown, your provider will know where to take you.


Your bank/building society – You need to let your bank or building society know of your change in address as close to your moving day as possible. If you don’t update this information, you could put yourself at risk of identity theft. You can usually update your details on your online banking or in store.

Student loan/any other loan – If you’re currently paying back your student loan or any other type of loan, its important to let them know of your change in address. Then your billing information can be updated on their records and you don’t miss important letters being sent to your old address.

Premium bonds – Its important to update your address if you’ve invested in any premium bonds. You can usually do this on their website or by calling them.

Loyalty cards/store cards – If you hold any specific store cards or loyalty cards, let them know about your change in address for delivery purposes. For example, if you do your food shopping online at a supermarket such as Tesco, they might send your shopping to your old address. You can usually update your information online, in store or over the phone.


Make sure you tell all your insurance providers about your change of address. Don’t forget;
  • Home / contents insurance
  • Life insurance
  • Pet insurance
  • Car insurance
  • Travel insurance
  • And any other insurance you have.

Employment / Schools

Employer/s – Inform your employer of your change of address so they can update your payroll.

National insurance – Your NI number is often used by your employer so it’s important to keep your details up to date with them too. You’ll need your full NI number to change your information and make sure to check the opening times before you call.

Inland revenue – You’ll need to change your address with the Inland revenue. They will need to know for your taxes. You can update this on the Government website.

Pension – If you contribute towards your pension, you will also need to update your address with your pension provider. You can usually do this by calling them.

Schools – If your child is at school, you should let the school know of your change in address so they can update your contact information.

University – If you or your child attends university, you should let the university know so they can update their records.


Doctors - When you change your address, your doctor may also change if you’re moving to a different area. Your current doctor will need to forward all your current medical records to your new one, so it’s important to get your doctors contact details, so you can pass them onto your new one.

Similarly, you’ll have to go through a similar process with your;
  • Dentist
  • Vet
  • Optician

Clubs / activities

Gym - If you’re moving house but still intend on attending the same gym, you should still let them know of your change in address. This is especially important if you have a monthly standing order with them, as their billing information needs to be correct. If you’re moving to a different area, make sure you don’t forget to cancel your local gym subscription so you’re not paying for a service you don’t use.

Postal subscriptions – If you receive any subscriptions via post, for example a beauty box, you will need to update your address with them, otherwise your subscription will land on your old doorstep!

Clubs – If you or your children attend any clubs or activities, make sure you update your address with them. They can update your information and they’ll be able to get in touch with you if they need to .

Local subscriptions – If you receive any local subscriptions like a newspaper, then you’ll need to make sure they know about your change of address. If you’re moving to a different area, you’ll need to get in contact with them in advance to cancel your subscription.


TV Licence – You will need to change your address on the TV Licensing website as your current TV licence won’t be valid in your new property. You can do this up to 3 months before you move, so it’s a good idea to get this done early and tick it off your list!
Phone – For both your landline and mobile, you’ll need to let your providers know of your new address. They will be able to update their records and bill to your new property rather than your old one. You can usually update your details over the phone or by going into store.

If your landline is connected to your broadband deal, you may be able to cancel or change your address of them both at the same time.
Broadband – You might be able to get a better broadband deal in your new home if you cancel your broadband provider in your current property. You can usually call them to cancel or change your address.
Satellite/Cable TV – You’ll need to change you address so your bills won’t go to your old one. It’s a good idea to check whether your new home will require a new satellite dish or cable before you update your satellite/cable information.

Easy to forget!

The list doesn’t stop there! There may be extra people you need to tell. Take a look below and make sure to add these to your checklist!
  • Solicitor
  • Library
  • Cleaner
  • Gardener
  • Accountant

Family & friends

Finally, make sure all your family and friends know your new address. They’ll be able to update their address books and maybe send you a ‘new home’ card!